Take A Peek
Hi, my name is D. V. Stone. I am a multi-genre author who also enjoys reading across genres. On this page you'll meet a great group of writers and get an insider's view into their lives and books. I hope you enjoy this special peek and find new and exciting reads.
I’m by no means a Twitter Maven, but after gathering 3,700 followers, I know a little. Don’t be afraid. Take a peek at D. V.’s 14 Commandments for Twitter. Please share any other rules you think appropriate.
D. V.’s Rules for Twitter.
1. No political tweets – Yes, you have a voice and should use it personally. However, you use your twitter feed for it; you must be prepared to deal with trolls and rabid tweeters from both sides of the aisle. Your tweet can get hijacked and then you lose control. I’m not a famous celebrity who can get away with it. But if you look closely, some of them aren’t doing too well either.
2. Follow people you genuinely want to see on twitter. Only a few at a time. After the first couple of followers back, try not to let the amount you are following exceed the amount following you.
3. Before you follow someone back, do a cursory scan of their most recent posts. This will tell you a lot about the person.
4. See who follows them and who they follow. Do they have tweeters in common?
5. Remember, just because you recognize the tweeters following them refer to #3.
6. Gain followers organically by playing the daily hashtag games with word prompts. A good source is @writevent though there are many others.
7. On that note, remember to FOLLOW THE RULES of the game. Some allow buy links, some don’t. Some want wips, some don’t care if it’s published. One of the biggest things I see is tweeters who post anything regardless of the word prompt or idea. Bad form.
8. Be interactive. If a post interests you, don’t hesitate to comment.
9. #writingcommunity to as many posts as appropriate.
10. Post more than ‘Buy my book’ things. Pets, food, local scenery, and funny memes are great ways to get yourself established.
11. Oh, very important use common sense. If Prince so and so, or high profile celeb follows you. The chances are super high they are not. Not saying impossible. But really? And, some people think it's a dating sight. Most of these are scammers who are trying to get something from you.
12. Consider putting a filter on. In the beginning I had to deal with a lot of T&A shots and other unmentionable body parts.
13. Block and Mute are your friends. Don't hesitate to use them.
14. Oh, I almost forgot 14th Commandment. Okay, not a commandment a please follow me. https://twitter.com/donnavstone
Thanks and see you in the Twitterverse
D. V. 🦉